Wednesday, July 16, 2008

They're having a Batman costume contest at my work on Friday.

My mind is officially in “moving back to Florida mode”. I can’t help it. Here is how my life over the next few weeks breaks down:

This Saturday: a “redneck luau” City Paper party. A whole roasted pig will be on hand.
Next Saturday: a trip to Savannah to meet with lovely Gainesville friends.
Next next Saturday: my parents will be here.
Next next next Saturday: I drive back to Gainesville and this experience is over.

I can’t imagine it going by slowly. I like it here but I miss the world I’ve created for myself in Gainesville. I miss going to shows! But I get to see Best Friends Forever before I head off to Miami for a week. And I absolutely hate living alone. I am almost at a breaking point. I am paranoid every time I go to sleep and it didn’t help that last night I was woken up at 2:30 in the morning, maybe only an hour after I was finally able to get to sleep, by shouting and running and mysterious activities in the street below my window. I need to be in a house with people again.

I’ve been going to the beach at least once a week, which is so weird to me. But it’s nice to sit and read and hear wind and water and it’s always cooler than it is inland. I went to Folly Beach, one of the more touristy beaches, and it had more of an at-the-end-of-the-world feeling than the beach I usually go to, where you can see boats and an outline of the city in the distance. And I found a beautiful waterfront park yesterday that I somehow missed every time I walked by. It was at the perfect spot on the Cooper River, close enough to see Fort Sumter, and had two fountains and benches. There was a puppy and I couldn’t resist it and then I ended up talking to two really nice girls that were from Florida. One is having a big art show Saturday but between work and the luau, I probably won’t be able to go.

I’m going to another art show in a little bit. I’ve been itching to get creative lately and I’ve been thinking a lot about the zine I want to make. I was going to try to block print a design for the covers but now I think I might do collages instead. I’ll probably make 10, keep one, give one to my friend/roommate Brian as promised, and then sell the rest at Wayward Council. I’m going to write a few essays and maybe do a few illustrations (I already have two in mind, but I’m worried they won’t turn out because I have no real artistic skills to speak of). And I want to have all of this done by the time school starts or pretty soon thereafter, maybe a September deadline.

No comments: