Thursday, July 10, 2008

Photobucket


Greenville wasn’t what I was hoping. It was nice to be in a place with varying elevation (the picture above was at a beautiful park with a lot of rocks and cliffs and falls, even though it was in the middle of the downtown area and surrounded by hotels and parking garages), but I had a lot of disappointments. The vegetarian restaurant I wanted to go to didn’t exist. The vintage stores I wanted to go to didn’t exist and I got my ear talked off by some girl that’s starting a DIY art collective, which is cool but she ignored everything I was saying as she went on and on about how she’s giving up on the city. The record store I went to was really overpriced - fuck spending $20 on the new Les Savy Fav LP.

The downtown was cute and historical, but it felt really different from Charleston. It was a way more metropolitan city, as there were actual modern “skyscrapers.” It felt younger and more middle class than here, where everyone here lives in $1 million houses that have been passed down for generations. But I drove through a residential street and the houses were brick and beautiful and the streets were rolling. I have to live in a hilly or mountainy place when I get out of Gainesville.

Speaking of getting out of Gainesville, I applied on a whim to a job at the Willamette Week in Portland. My dream employer. They’re hiring now for a music editor, so I sent an inquiry e-mail and the hiring editor told me I should send in my stuff because they might be hiring an assistant music editor later in the summer, which I would be better for. I’m not going to think about it, but if I were to be so lucky, I wonder if I would quit school if an opportunity came up. I’ve grown out of Gainesville, but not out of my friends. The degrees will always be just two semesters away.

My grown-in wisdom tooth is causing me problems.

I love that Target is using Dolly Parton in their commercials.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah wisdom teeth are no fun, mine become a pain from time to time, one of these day I hope I can get them taken care of. Anywho, I dunno if you know or would be interested but charleston has a USL soccer team, "The Battery", I guess thats probably what I would do if I was in charleston for the summer, but anyway if you are really bored one weekend tickets are probably like $10-15. Hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

fuck the new les savy fav, shit is not worth buying anyway.

I'm going up north this weekend, and I'm driving back down. It is possible that I spend a night/day in Charleston, but we'll see. I'll be in touch, to see if that's even possible for you